Workshop on 'Microdosimetry in ion-beam therapy for beginners
The idea. The idea of this workshop originated from the fortunate circumstance that four PhD programs are starting, almost contemporarily, in different institutes in Belgium, United Kingdom, and Austria with research subjects linked to microdosimetry for proton, and carbon-ion beam therapy. This meeting, organized in particular for those young researchers, can initiate, depending on the interest on the groups, long-standing collaborations.
The goal. The goal is to promote complementarity between the research programs and avoid overlapping. For this, the basic elements are:
- creating a ‘common language’ in microdosimetry in ion-beam therapy
- initiating collaborations between the research groups in Europe in the field of microdosimetry applied to ion-beam therapy
Microdosimetry_Repository Repository of files and ideas
- List of Participants: download
- Venue: The workshop will take place at "MedAustron" Conference room, Marie Curie-Str. 5, MedAustron, Wiener Neustadt, Austria
- Contacts: For additional information or urgent matters, you can contact Giulio Magrin (+43 677 6314 3165) or Petra Wurzer (+43 664 8087 8111)
Wednesday 9 October
- 11:30 - 12:30 Pre-workshop talk: The workshop is preceded by the MediNet Network meeting, at the Auditorium (Hoersaal 6), Fachhochschule Wiener Neustadt, Johannes–Gutenberg–Straße 3, 2700 Wiener Neustadt(the Fachhochschule is at approximately 300 meters from MedAustron). The last two presentations at that meetings, focusing on "Microdosimetry in Ion-beam Therapy", area the ideal link to this workshop. The participants of to the “Microdosimetry for Beginners” workshop are invited to participate.
- 13:00 - 14:00 Lunch at Fachhochschule, Auditorium (Hoersaal 6),
- 14:45 - 18:30 Workshop Activities
- 19:30 - 21:30 Dinner, downtown Wiener Neustadt
Thursday 10 October
- 09:00 - 12:30 Workshop Activities
- 12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
- 13:30 - 15:00 Discussions and outreach.
- Paolo Colautti, Microdosimetry for radiation therapy (presentation available on 4 October) download presentation
- Part I: stochastic physical quantities
- Part II: microdosimetric detectors and experimental data
- Brigitte Reniers, Monte Carlo approach to Microdosimetry in ion beam therapy (tentative title) download presentation
- Giulio Magrin, Some essential theoretical bases for the implementation of microdosimetry in ion beam therapy download presentation
- Linearization of the response of the electronic components
- Collection of single-event spectra with a diamond detector
- Self-calibration process
- Obtaining microdosimetric spectra and lineal energy mean values
Outreach and plan for future collaborations
- Giuseppe Schettino, discussion leader: A road map for a collaborative, multi-centric approach?
- A round table discussion